Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wild Foraging


In the winter in southern California you can grow a wonderful assortment of vegetables in the backyard garden.  Cool season vegetables that do well in the winter are lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, leeks, green onion, garden peas, endive, escarole and kale.

In the winter I always seem to get out of a garden mood.  I really like the IDEA of a winter garden.  I have yet to actually do one.

Come winter I like to spend my time hiking in the hills. The hills are green and as the rain comes wild edibles and wild flowers begin to appear.  When I am out hiking in the winter if I keep an eye out I might find wild edibles such as wild onion, miner's lettuce, mallow, rose hips, or wild strawberries.

Foraging is fun.  If you are interested in learning more about wild foods I recommend getting a good plant identification guide or taking a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment