Friday, July 30, 2010

How To Make Pickled Salmon

This is a jar of pickled salmon that I made this week.  My recipe, with a few alterations, is based on the pickled salmon recipe found in Sally Fallon's cookbook "Nourishing Traditions".   Pickled salmon is light and refreshing.

HOW TO MAKE PICKLED SALMON

Pickled Salmon

1 pound salmon, skinned and cut into 1/2 - inch pieces
1 c. filtered water
2 T. whey
1 T. raw honey
1 T. sea salt
1 c. onion, coarsely chopped
1 organic lemon, quartered and thinly sliced
1 handful of fresh dill, snipped

Mix water with whey, honey, and salt and stir until honey and salt are dissolved.  Layer salmon, lemon, onion, and dill into a clean quart-sized wide-mouth mason jar.  Pour the brine solution over it.  The top of the liquid s hould be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.  Add more water if necessary.  Cover tightly.  Keep at room temperature for 24 hours before putting int he refrigerator.  The salmon will keep for several weeks.

SALMON TIP FOR THE DAY:

To be on the safe side - I freeze the salmon for 2 weeks to kill any parasites.  Then I skin it while it is still frozen.  The salmon is much easier to handle when it is frozen.

PICKLED SALMON

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have just tried this recipe but in a day my jar almost exploded, foam was coming out and the brine turned white and seems fizzy. I have put it in the fridge and just tasted it now, it tastes okay but fizzy, is that how its supposed to be? I am scared to eat it - its still a raw fish. Please let me know what you think, that would be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete