Saturday, September 4, 2010

Whey

THE ARTISANAL CRAFT OF LACTO-FERMENTATION

I keep a bottle of whey on hand expressly for the purpose of lacto-fermentation.  I use whey to make sourdough pancakes, soured oats, pickled cucumber, pickled turnips, pickled carrots, pickled radish, beet kvass, sauerkraut, apple cider and a wonderful array of lacto-fermented sodas.  I have made pickled kale stems and pickled green beans.  I am not too fond of pickled green beans though I still have a jar of those kale stems somewhere in the back of my fridge.  I pickled watermelon radish, and though they tasted good, I was disappointed to find that the distinct green and red watermelon-like coloring faded away in the brine.

Lacto-fermented sodas are a unique and wonderful summer treat.  Carrisa and I made ginger ale, blackberry rose, elderberry punch, and orange soda this summer.  Ginger ale was my personal favorite.

Bottle Of Whey

HOW TO MAKE WHEY

1 qt. whole milk yoghurt

Line a large strainer with a clean dish towel and place it over a large bowl.  Pour the yoghurt into the strainer, cover with a towel, and let it stand at room temperature for several hours until most of the whey has separated into the bowl.  Then place it in fridge and let it continue straining overnight.  In the morning store the whey in a jar.  Spoon the yoghurt, which will be the consistency of cream cheese, into a covered glass jar.  The whey keeps about 6 months.  The thick creamy Greek-style yoghurt will keep for about 1 month in the fridge. 

WHERE TO FIND RECIPES

You will find a variety of recipes for lacto-fermented food and beverages in Sally Fallon's cookbook "Nourishing Traditions."

No comments:

Post a Comment