Sunday, March 20, 2011

Beet Kvass - Spring Tonic


Jar Of Beet Kvass

While the rain comes down outside I will be in the kitchen making beet kvass.  Beet kvass is a healthful probiotic beverage made with whey. Check out the luscious vibrant color. Beet kvass strengthens the digestion when 4-oz. are taken in the morning and in the evening.  In addition, Beet kvass alkalizes the blood, cleanses the liver, and is a good treatment for kidney stones.

Can lacto-fermented beet kvass offer protection from the effects of radiation?

Dr. Thomas Cowan who wrote "The Fourfold Path To Healing" has this to say about foods that protect us from radiation.

"Special foods that have been shown to counteract radiation sickness include naturally fermented miso, beets, kombucha and sea vegetables, such as kombu." 

My recipe for beet kvass comes from Sally Fallon's cookbook "Nourishing Traditions."

RECIPE FOR BEET KVASS

3 medium beets, peeled and chopped into cubes
1/4 c. whey
1 T. celtic salt
filtered water

Sterilize a 2-quart glass jar with boiling water.  Boil the lid too.  Place beets, whey and salt in the glass jar.  Add filtered water to fill the container.  Stir it well with a chop stick.  Cover securely.  Keep it at room temperature on the kitchen counter for 2 days before transferring to the refrigerator.

When most of the liquid has been drunk, you may re-fill the glass jar with water and keep at room temperature for another 2 days.  The second brew will be slightly less strong than the first.  After the second brew, discard the beets and start again with a fresh batch.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very easy! I'm gonna have to make it one of these days! In the meantime to help combat and radiation that may be in the atmosphere, I've been drinking Kombucha regularly. I'm finding that I'm liking the "Citrus" flavor a lot. You should try it sometime~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrisa - I will try the citrus flavor sometime and let you know what I think of it. Though I seem to remember that you are a bigger fan of acidic things like cranberries and strawberries and tomatoes than I am.

    I tend to be very unadventuresome when it comes to flavors. When it comes to kombucha I almost always choose the original flavor. When I am swinging out I choose the ginger flavor.

    When I was a little girl and I could choose any flavor of ice cream - guess what? - I always chose vanilla ice cream.

    Though I seem to remember an exception while I was traveling in Italy. In Rome I ordered a double ice cream cone - one scoop of chocolate gelato, one scoop banana gelato - dipped in whipped cream. I remember liking that quite a lot. In fact I think we visited that particular gelato shop about twice a day. :-)

    Now how did we get from kombucha to gelato?

    ReplyDelete