Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How To Make Delicious Raw Pecan Butter


Homemade Pecan Butter

When I visited Carrisa last October she gave me a spoonful of her homemade peanut butter.  I could not believe how rich and delicious it was!  It tastes so much better than commercial brands that I have been making homemade nut butter ever since.

Pecan butter is my current favorite.  I slather it on sourdough buckwheat pancakes, toasted sourdough bread, apple slices, and celery.  I also use pecan butter to make a healthy energy snack called "Earth Balls."

My recipe for pecan butter is inspired by a recipe found in Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions."  

RECIPE FOR PECAN BUTTER

2 c. crispy nuts (recipe to follow)
3/4 c. coconut oil
1 T. raw honey
1 t. sea salt

Place nuts and sea salt in a food processor and grind into a fine powder.  Then add the coconut oil and the honey and process until the nut butter becomes smooth.  It will be in a liquid like state but it will harden up when it is chilled in the refrigerator.  Pour the nut butter liquid into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.

Almonds, peanuts, and cashews make good nut butter.

CRISPY NUTS

4 c. pecans or almonds or cashews or peanuts
2 t. sea salt (1 T. for almonds, cashews, or peanuts)
filtered water

Mix pecans, salt, and water in a large glass bowl and let sit in a warm place for 7 - 12 hours.  Drain in a colander.  Dehydrate for about 24 hours or until completely dry and crisp.  Store in an airtight container.

For those that do not have a dehydrator you can spread the pecans on a baking sheet and place in a warm oven at no more than 150 degrees for 12 - 24 hours.  If you use the oven remember to turn the nuts occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. the Pecan Butter looks and sounds delicious!!
    I've been vying to make more Peanut butter myself :D

    ReplyDelete