Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sourdough Buckwheat Pancakes


Sourdough Buckwheat Pancakes

Carrisa and I developed this recipe for delicious sourdough buckwheat pancakes this summer while we were together. Buckwheat pancakes are our favorite weekend breakfast food.  I always make a big batch and freeze the left-overs by wrapping them in parchment paper and placing them in a freezer zip-lock bag.  When I am ready to use them I put the pancakes on a steamer rack and warm them over the stove for an instant mid-week breakfast treat.

Although I have tried many versions of buckwheat pancakes over the years - this recipe is our favorite.

SOURDOUGH BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES

2 c. buckwheat grouts
1 c. oatmeal (I use gluten free)
yoghurt mixed with warm water to make 3 c.
8 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
a good pinch of sea salt
4 whole eggs

The day before you plan to make pancakes grind the buckwheat grouts and oats in a coffee grinder or seed mill into a fine flour.  Mix the freshly ground flour with a yoghurt and warm water mixture.  Stir well.  Cover and set in a warm place for 12 - 24 hours.

In the morning beat the egg whites with a few pinches of sea salt until stiff peaks form.  Fold egg whites into the flour mixture.  Beat 4 whole eggs and stir into the flour mixture.

Cook the pancakes, (1/3 c. of batter for one pancake), on a buttered cast iron skillet or pancake griddle over a medium heat.

Top with your favorite topping.  I experiment with different toppings.  Right now I like coconut butter which is a blend of coconut oil and coconut solids.  It is smooth, creamy, and slightly sweet.  I also like pecan butter or regular grass-fed raw butter on my pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment