Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Health Secrets Of Dragon Fruit

Just when you think you have a few things figured out about food along comes something to really shake things up.  So, here is a new one for me folks, the little known, (at least to me), dragon fruit.

As you can see from the photo I took dragon fruit is a beautifully and brilliantly packaged, (you could give one as a present) fruit.  And, as you can see from the photo, when cut, dragon fruit bleeds all over the cutting board!  There are several varieties of dragon fruit.  The most delicious is said to be the red-skinned and red-fleshed variety.   I LOVE the pizzaz and eye-appeal of the deep red-violet flesh specked with tiny black seeds.  When I cut it open, not knowing what I would find inside, it was quite a pleasant shock to my uninitiated eye!   The pure wildness of the color was just amazing!

Though I think dragon fruit would be spectacular in a smoothie, (imagine the color!), for my very first experience of dragon fruit I chose to eat it as is, simply scooped out with a spoon.  Dragon fruit is said to have a taste and texture similar to kiwi fruit and I tend to agree.  Though initially mesmerized by the vivid and unforgettable color I found the flavor, though tame by comparison, quite mild and agreeable.  Most important, I liked it!   Even the tiny crunchy seeds, which are said to be a good source of essential fatty acids, were not a big deal.

After I ate it, I googled dragon fruit and I found out all sorts of interesting factoids about it.

Dragon fruit is also called pitaya because it has many scales.  The dazzling and fragrant flowers of the pitaya cactus, (yes!, dragon fruit is a vining, flowering and fruiting cactus), bloom only at night.  How exotic!  Dragon fruit is sometimes called "moonflower,""queen of the night" or "lady of the night."

HEALTH BENEFITS OF DRAGON FRUIT

  • Antioxidants in dragon fruit helps protect the body from free radicals.

  • The fruit helps to neutralize toxic substances, such as heavy metals, in the body.

  • Regular consumption of dragon fruit is said to help asthma.

  • High amounts of vitamin C enhance wound healing and immunity.

  • The vitamin B2 present in dragon fruit helps one recover from loss of appetite.

  • The vitamin B1 enhances energy production and the metabolism of carbohydrates.

  • The presence of vitamin B3 helps lower bad cholesterol.

  • Dragon fruit moistens and improves the appearance of the skin.

  • Dragon fruit helps prevent hypertension.

  • It is such a good source of phosphorus and calcium that it strengthens bones and teeth.

  • Dragon fruit is reputed to help reduce blood sugar levels in people with type-2 diabetes.

Though all of the reasons to eat dragon fruit are appealing and compelling, most of all I enjoyed the levity of eating, for the first time, this completely wild, wacky, and fun-filled fruit!

1 comment:

  1. At school I'm doing a project about the dragon fruit, this post has inspired me a lot and I learned from it a lot. Great job!

    ReplyDelete