Saturday, October 20, 2012

Passionate about Pesto!

If you have been wondering if I have fallen off the blogosphere - here I am!  Though admittedly on the missing list for the time being - it will only be temporary while I help my mother with her move!

HOW I SURVIVE THE TIME-CRUNCH

While sorting and packing, selling and dispersing - my diet has become more or less minimalist and simple.

One of the things I have grown quite passionate about during these busy days is pesto.  I have been making parsley pesto, mint pesto, basil pesto, cilantro pesto and today I am going to make dill pesto.

I make the pesto in large batches with pine nuts, olive oil and all the familiars, freeze it in ice-cube trays, wrap the frozen nuggets in wax paper, and store them in baggies in the freezer.

When I am short on time I pop one out of the freezer knowing that it will defrost in moments and add no end of pizzaz to my meal.

These little shots of flavor really do wonders for a streamlined life-style.  

Since most of us experience the occasional time-crunch it is nice to have a repertoire of meal time solutions to help us through those times.  Some of the things that have helped me through my own time-crunch has been crock pot meals, big batches of soup that last 3 - 5 days and only need re-heating, yams and sweet potatoes baked in a toaster oven, and occasionally even frozen vegetables (probably peas are my favorite as they hold up fairly well to freezing).

When things get really ridiculous I have been known to go to Whole Foods and get a freshly made sushi roll with brown rice and avocado.  I NEVER get tired of sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment