Thursday, March 8, 2012

Buddha's Hand

Buddhas's Hand Citron
I went to one of my favorite farmer's market in Ojai on Sunday morning.  I found the most intriguing fruit called Buddha's Hand Citron.  I had to buy one of coarse.  I brought it home with me and discovered that it has the MOST amazing exotic fragrance.   One Buddha's Hand in my fruit bowl perfumed the entire room.

Buddha's Hand Citron does not have any flesh or fruit.  It is entirely pith.  But, unlike most citrus the pith of Buddha's Hand is not bitter.  The fingers can be cut longitudinally, sliced and used as zest in salad dressings, salads, or sprinkled over cooked foods such as green vegetables and fish dishes.

Traditionally citron is candied or made into what the French call fruit glace.  Fruit glace or crystallized fruit has been around since the 14th century and is a classic ingredient in traditional holiday fruitcakes.

 Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment