Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What Happened To The Local Loquats?

Loquat-Rose Butter

This will be Part One Of - What Happened To The Local Loquats?

I have been in a particularly experimental mood lately.  Dangerous?  Well, yes, actually, though, I do realize that not all of my food adventures are going to become future blog posts or even be edible for that matter.

I am thinking of a particular batch of loquat butter I made recently.  You are probably wondering what could go wrong with a batch of loquat butter?  Especially since I have made loquat butter before with Carrisa, summer 2010, when we were both very pleased with the result.

Well things went off for me this time when I reached for the jar of wildflower honey and grabbed double-delight rose honey instead, and a rather assertive double-delight rose honey at that.

I did not even realize what I had done until I tasted the loquat butter.  And even then, it took me a moment or two to figure out what the flavor configurations were that were happening on my tongue.  The unlikely rose/loquat combination, oddly enough the loquat tree and rose bush that the petals are harvested from actually live in close proximity to one another in my mother's backyard and have unfortunately managed to get into even closer proximity, falls into the category of flavor confusion to downright flavor weirdness.  Don't bet me wrong.  I have nothing against double-delight rose honey, in fact, I think it is delicious, but it has no business with loquats.  Big sigh.

So I did what I almost always do when faced with a food crisis.  I fermented it!  Of coarse, what else!

So, I added some salt and some probiotic powder, for beneficial bacteria, and left the offending jar on the counter for a couple of days. 

It did not help.

My next plan is to take the little food orphans to Carrisa and see what she can make of them.  She is much more of a baker than I am.  Perhaps she can reinvent them and bake them into luscious loquat quick bread or spicy loquat muffins?  I AM STILL hopeful.

I am heading out of town tomorrow, and you guessed it, I am taking the loquat butter with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment