Saturday, July 19, 2014

~ Santa Barbara Fermentation Festival ~

TWO FIRST PLACE AWARDS
Today I attended the fourth annual Fermentation Festival in Santa Barbara.

The Fermentation Festival, which was held at Fairview Gardens, is all about revitalizing traditional food preparation methods and promoting local food and farming.  Right up my alley.

SCREAMING PICKLE CONTEST
Making my way between the Pickled Pavilion and the Fermentation Station for various classes as well as stopping to chat it up with local vendors and purveyors of such sundries as kombucha, kefir, kimchee, pickles, olives, cider, cultured veggies, sourdough bread, and even cultured salami and meats, my taste buds were kept in a fairly constant state of excitement.  I was especially thrilled to finally taste my very first Jun ever ~ which is a somewhat magical and, up until now, elusive elixir which is brewed from green tea and honey and which is reputed to have devotees that sing and chant to it.

On a personal note: the absolute biggest highlight of my day was winning the Screaming Pickle Contest ~ not once ~ but TWICE!   I won in two out of three categories.  My blood orange beet kvass won in the beverage category and my catsup won in the fruit category.

PICKLED PENDANTS

I came home with all sorts of new alchemical accoutrements and I am looking high and low ~ even checking out the closets  ~ trying to find space for more ferments.  The finicky ones especially need to have just the right conditions.

The top two photographs "Two First Place Awards" and "Screaming Pickle Contest" which were taken at the festival are compliments of Ashley Renee - food photographer.  Ashley Renee can be found at rainydayrenee.com.

The bottom two photographs "Pickled Pendants" and "Fruit Catsup and Blood Orange Beet Kvass" are compliments of Dan.

FRUIT CATSUP AND BLOOD ORANGE BEET KVASS

2 comments:

  1. Yay! How awesome is that? Love the photos, you look gorgeous! I love how the medals are shaped as pickles, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have the pickles hanging in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete