Monday, May 14, 2012

The Perfect Diet

Bok Choy, Flowering Broccoli, Amaranth Greens

Despite an ongoing fascination with Traditional Chinese Medicine I do not necessarily advocate that we all adopt an Asian style of eating.  The principles I have learned in my study of Traditional Chinese Medicine are universal.  They can be applied to a variety of cuisines and regional food styles.  I like to look for opportunities to apply the teachings of Traditional Chinese Medicine to my own western cultural experience.  Initially while I study and familiarize myself with the traditions and food ways of another culture my diet often mimics that culture.  Not only is there the adventure of trying new foods and food preparations, but I find one of the best ways for me to learn something is to experiment with it.  As I continue to learn, eventually, a fuller or more authentic dietary practice emerges and when taken to its fullest creative expression that practice will have a universal application and potentially wear many faces.

I do not advocate one diet or food style for everybody.  There really is no "one size fits all" when it comes to diet and how we choose to nourish ourselves and our family. Diet is a personal choice. Similarly, the foods that work for us at one phase in our lives may not work indefinitely.  Think food sensitivities and food allergies.

My Dietary Recommendations

The one thing we all have in common, when it comes to diet, is that we benefit when we eat whole unprocessed foods.  When we seek out the finest freshest foods available our health and energy improve dramatically. 

Secondly, I believe that we all benefit when we seek out local foods.  Local regional foods not only support the local economy but they taste better and are more nutritious than foods that have traveled long distances.  When we eat local foods we eat foods that are in season. 

Finally, I believe that we benefit when we choose foods that closely resemble what our ancestors ate. Besides the comfort and community we derive from food culture, our bodies, seem to be particularly adapted to process and more readily digest the foods eaten by our ancestors.

In case you have not already guessed - there is no perfect diet.

 Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment