Wednesday, May 16, 2012

In Favor Of Local Flavor

Delightfully Purple Cabbage

As the perfect segue for today's post on eating local I, unwittingly, did the most inspired thing.  I had this drop-dead gorgeous purple cabbage that my brother Bret, whose garden savvy and green thumb I justifiably envy, gave me from his garden.  He has the most amazing garden.  He simply sows seeds and they sprout obediently in exquisite profusion.

As I watched him pull the purple cabbage from the soil I knew that I must to do something special with it.  Well did I ever.  I made a purple cabbage sauerkraut.  It is so pretty in the jar that it looks quite royal and jewel-like sitting on the counter.  When I had finished packing and pounding the kraut into the jar I had a smidgeon left over.  I pressed the left-over smidgeon between glass nesting bowls, weighted with a bottle of water, and left it overnight.  I ate the pressed salad with sprouted brown rice congee (subject of a future post?) I had prepared in a crock pot.  The pressed salad was a delicious accompaniment and I was fully satisfied that the purple cabbage had been properly honored.

In Monday's blog post on "The Perfect Diet" I list three simple food rules for building and maintaining optimum health and well-being.  My first food recommendation, to eat whole, unprocessed food, is the subject of yesterday's post.  My second food recommendation, today's subject, is to include plenty of local foods, as opposed to foods shipped long distances, in our diet.

WHAT ARE LOCAL FOODS?

Local foods are real foods, the vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, meats, and dairy products, that are grown or produced within a 100 mile radius of where you live. 

Whether you have a backyard garden, like my brother Bret, or visit a local farmer's market I think that you will find that local foods are amazing.

REASONS TO EAT LOCAL

When we eat local we eat foods that are in season and at the peak of their perfection.

Foods that are in season are always fresher, more nutritious, and better tasting.

Local foods are the new organic.  Local foods are environmentally friendly because they do not need to travel long distances.

When we choose local foods we support our local economy.

Local foods create accountability and build relationships as we the consumer become acquainted with the people that actually grow and produce our food.

Fresh And Organic From The Backyard Garden

 Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment