Friday, May 18, 2012

What Does My Diet Look Like?


Sockeye Salmon And Plateful Of Vegetables

Though my current diet is fairly simple, keep in mind that my concept of diet is dynamic and is a constant process of refinement and re-adjustment.  Just as I change and my condition changes, so does my diet.

Vegetables - I have found that the ideal diet for me this spring(note that I say ideal for me!) places fresh organic vegetables at the center.  I like my plate to be about 2/3 full of a beautiful, colorful, vibrant array of deliciously prepared vegetables.

Protein - I supplement that three times a day plateful of colorful fresh vegetables with small portions of high quality protein such as organic eggs, fish, poultry, organ meat, and less frequently red meat.  When I first began introducing animal products into my diet (because of nutritional deficiencies) I found local, grass-fed, sustainably raised animal products the most palatable.

Grains and Legumes - I include moderate amounts of properly prepared non-glutenous grains in my diet such as buckwheat (technically not a grain), rice, quinoa and millet.  Every so often I prepare non-glutenous oats.  This morning I made sourdough buckwheat pancakes for a delicious breakfast.  I soured the buckwheat for 24 hours before making the pancakes.  The souring process helps to neutralize enzyme inhibitors in the grain. I eat legumes infrequently.  When I do have a bowl of bean or lentil soup, for instance, I make certain the beans or lentils are soaked and sprouted for easier digestion and nutrient assimilation.

Nuts and Seeds - I usually have a handful of nuts such as pecans or walnuts for a snack everyday.  The nuts are soaked in salted water, to remove enzyme inhibitors, and then crisped in a dehydrator.

Condiments Throw in a side of homemade sauerkraut or artisanal pickles (which I am a huge fan of) and some sea vegetables (a throw-back from my macrobiotic days) and I am inordinately happy.

Fruit  - With the delicious exception of local California grown blueberries, I am minimizing fruit consumption these days.

Healthy Fats - I favor natural fats such as cultured grass-fed butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado over the man-made hydrogenated fats such as margarine and polyunsaturated seed oils.

Proportions

70%     Vegetables
15%     Animal Protein
7 - 8%  Complex Carbs - grains and legumes
7 - 8 %  Healthy Fats

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment