Monday, July 8, 2013

Super Simple Taco Salad For Dinner

Yes - in case you haven't noticed - my enthusiasm for smoothies has been waning lately.  Rather than chugging down smoothies everyday - I have been enjoying them more occasionally - and as a treat rather than as everyday sustenance.

Ironically, on the other hand, my husband and I have done a role reversal, and he has become the smoothie aficionado in the family.   His take on smoothies is completely different than mine - but, this is a topic that I can save for another blog post. 

Meanwhile - I am still out of town.  And my husband, who came up for the weekend, noticed how much better the vita-mix works than his regular blender, and left with my vita-mix!  Yes - I travel with a blender - and apparently so does he! 

One of the things that I hope that I am learning to do while I am away is how to prepare a wider variety of food more efficiently and effectively.  I tend to complicate my life, especially my life in the kitchen - and when I  am on my own I often try to find ways to simplify and streamline my food life.  The fastest way to simplify my food life is to get into a food rut and eat the same food more or less until the pot of whatever I made has been exhausted.

But, because I am not cooking in my own kitchen and am not preparing food just to please or displease myself - I am trying to focus on both efficiency and variety without becoming overly complicated.

Tonight, for instance, I am taking the roast beef that was prepared yesterday - and I am re-inventing it.  I am shredding and seasoning it with coriander, cumin, chili powder, and garlic that has been sauteed in coconut oil for a spicy taco like flavor.

I will serve the beef along side shredded organic romaine lettuce, homemade guacamole, homemade salsa, shredded organic raw cheese, organic sour cream, and organic corn chips - so that each of us can compose our own version of a taco salad.

For dessert I will slice up an organic watermelon.

This is probably one of the easiest meals I have made in a long time.  Maybe this is the beginning of a new trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment