Monday, May 6, 2013

Acai And A Smoothie In A Bowl

Previously all I knew about Acai is that it was my son Brett's very favorite fruit in Brazil.  When ever Brett comes for a visit I make certain that I have plenty of little frozen acai packets on hand in the freezer.  He uses them to make smoothies.  When he is not here the frozen packets just sit there, rather forlorn and unappreciated, waiting for him to return again. 

Until this past month - when I began to spread my breakfast wings a bit and decided on the spur of the moment to toss one of those frozen purple packets into one of my smoothie concoctions.  I liked it.  It was delightful and SO VERY PURPLE!

I liked it so well that I decided to feature an acai smoothie at my latest Raw Food Class Friday night.

Right now I have a lot of fruity - delicious stuff on hand, like frozen acai packets, blueberries, banana, grain-free granola, almond milk, and strawberries,  all left-over from the raw breakfast food class.

Wondering what to do with all this deliciousness - besides making smoothies - I was delighted to come across what sounds like an amazing hybrid between a smoothie and a breakfast bowl, in fact, it sounds like a smoothie in a bowl with crunchies on top, and featuring, among other things, frozen acai, and just about every other thing I have on hand. 

Voila!

THE ACAI BOWL

Ingredients:
  • 1 Frozen Packet of Unsweetened Açai Purée
  • 1 Medium Banana
  • 1/2 Cup Strawberries
  • 1/4 Cup Wild Blueberries
  • 2 to 4 Tablespoons of raw almond Milk
  • 6 Strawberries diced
  • A Handfull of berries (any assortment you’d like)
  • 1/2 Cup of Gluten Free Granola
  • 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
  • 2 Tbsp Raw Walnuts
While açai is still in packet, break the frozen purée into pieces. This will help the blending process. In a small blender, combine açai, medium banana, 1/2 cup of strawberries, wild blueberries with almond milk. Make sure to add as little almond milk as possible. You want the consistency of the açai blend to be as thick and creamy as possible. Once blended pour contents into a bowl. Top with granola, berries, hemp seeds, and walnuts.

1 comment:

  1. I know you are avoiding dairy right now, and I'm not sure if you are doing oatmeal (is it GF?), but I would likely chop those all up, and simmer them with oatmeal, and stir in plain yogurt. That's one of my favorite ways to do a fruity breakfast that is not a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete