Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Serendipitous Mulberry

Black Mulberries

Well, you might be tempted to think that "The Serendipitous Mulberry" is all premeditated - but it is not.  By fortuitous foraging instincts and good fortune, I got to thinking about mulberries yesterday and remembered a friend of mine named Julie who has a large black mulberry tree in her backyard.  I have not seen Julie in a long time.  I gave her a phone call - by coincidence another friend of mine just happened to send me her phone number in an email this week - and asked her if there was any chance that I could get some mulberries from her tree this year.  She said there was a very good chance and invited me over.

Her mulberry tree is a beautiful specimen, loaded with mulberries, in a backyard that has been designated as a wildlife sanctuary.  I thoroughly enjoyed standing in the dappled shade this afternoon, visiting with Julie, and picking mulberries until my fingers were stained purple.

As for the picking, mulberries are labor intensive, and I have about two cups for my efforts.  They are delicious mulberries and I am very happy to have them.

By-the-way, for those of you who enjoy food trivia, Julie, who is keen on proper plant nomenclature, informed me that mulberries are not a true berry - but a morus fruit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment