Sunday, May 12, 2013

Smoothie Plus Greens

Those of you who follow my blog will remember that I have been searching for a smoothie that will keep me going until lunchtime.  I love the idea of making a smoothie for breakfast – what could be easier on a busy morning or more refreshing when the weather is hot, like it is right now, and you don’t want to cook? 

But, for some reason smoothies don’t keep me satisfied for very long.  I have tried a lot of different smoothies.  I have made them with berries, raw milk, raw milk kefir, coconut milk, young green coconut, almond milk, various green powders, whey powder, banana and bee pollen - and nothing seems to do the trick.  Each time I try a new smoothie– I end up looking for second breakfast in about an hour or two. 

Saturday morning I came VERY CLOSE to achieving my goal.  I actually had a smoothie with greens for breakfast.  The smoothie was delicious  – but I was SO WORRIED about whether it would hold me through the Vinyasa Flow class I taught that morning that I ate a side of steamed greens along with it – just to be on the safe side. 

So from a purist point of view I did not have just a smoothie for breakfast did I? 

Not only did the breakfast smoothie plus greens keep me going until lunchtime – it kept me going through an active yoga class too.  Now that is really putting a breakfast to the test!

Breakfast Smoothie

1 c. freshly made almond milk
2 whole backyard or pastured eggs
3/4 c. fresh organic strawberries
1/4 raw beet diced small
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1 dash cardamom
stevia to taste

Blend everything, except the eggs, until creamy and smooth.  Then swirl in the eggs.

The result is very similar to an eggnog - strawberry flavored - with spicy/floral notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment