Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Is A Carbohydrate Threshold

To continue the conversation about smoothies.

Remembering that historically I have not been able to have smoothies in the morning without experiencing a blood sugar crash – and encouraged by my success the day before – I made the luscious pumpkin pie smoothie for breakfast yesterday but with one important difference – I added some homemade grain-free granola for crunch and pizzaz. 

An hour later – blood sugar crash.  In addition, I ended up feeling hungry ALL day no matter what I ate after the blood sugar crash and so I ended up grazing for the remainder of the day and into the night and still felt slightly off and less able to handle stress.

So what I bumped up against yesterday – big time – is what I like to call a carbohydrate threshold.  The seemingly innocent addition of grain-free granola, sweetened with raw honey, pushed me over my edge.   And when I exceed my carb threshold at breakfast I pay the price for the rest of the day. 

What I am learning is that my personal carbohydrate threshold is more sensitive in the morning than in the afternoon.  In the morning I do better when I eat a breakfast that has plenty of fat and protein.  A good breakfast stabilizes me for the rest of the day.  Then in the afternoon and evening I have found that I can get away with the addition of more carbs without deleterious effect.

Carbohydrate intolerance of any kind is a sign of insulin resistance.  The two go hand-in-hand.

Symptoms of Carbohydrate Intolerance:

  • Headache
  • Feeling of Weakness
  • Irritability and Unstable Mood
  • Inability to Focus
  • Weak Legs When Exercising
  • “Pins and Needles” in the arms at night
  • Weight Gain Around the Middle
  • Elevated Blood Pressure
  • Elevated Triglycerides
  • Craving For Sugar
  • PMS

No comments:

Post a Comment