Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Macro-Nutrient Ratios

What is the perfect diet?  I have only three simple recommendations.

1 - Choose Local Food - as much as possible because it is fresh, seasonal and tastes better.

2 - Choose Real Food - real food that is traditionally grown and raised is more nourishing.

3 - Ancestral Eating - your body readily digests and assimilates what your ancestors ate.

Though I am fairly convinced that we all thrive on REAL FOOD - it is unlikely that one diet will perfectly fit everyone's individual needs.   I DO think it is important, within a REAL FOOD framework, to make macro-nutrient adjustments and individualize the diet so that it best supports your unique needs.  This usually takes a fair amount of experimentation.

For instance, I have found that if I eat fruit in the morning I generally have a blood sugar crash fairly soon.  However, if I eat the same fruit in the afternoon my energy remains stable.  This is very useful information to have as it affects the quality of my life on a daily basis.

Some people thrive on super cleansing diets such as vegan or raw vegan.  Others seem to need more nourishment, more building and restorative foods.
Macro-nutrient ratios are a fascinating subject because each of us is unique.  How much protein, carbohydrate, and healthy fats do you need in order to thrive?  What are the ratios that are just right for you?

I am still in a quandary about what is right for me.

I am convinced that about every decade or so I need to take inventory and make adjustments in my diet.  What I ate in my 20's and 30's is not what I eat today.  Yet, I was as concerned about eating healthy organic food back then as I am now.  The difference is that as I change or my condition and environment change -  my diet reflects that.

For instance, when I lived in a foreign country in the desert, where temperatures were seldom below 90 degrees, the local foods were different than what is available here in coastal California.

When it is winter my diet favors slow cooked stews, root vegetables, and warming foods.  In the summer I enjoy more fresh salads, juices, and fresh fruits.

In my 20's and 30's I ate a lot more fruit and grains than I do now because my body handled carbohydrate more efficiently back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment