Friday, April 12, 2013

The Minimalist Approach - Does It Work?

So here I am again today.

Though there is often a tendency toward self-absorption when one is learning a new skill or doing something one is not habituated to - especially when that something is food related - I find that I should probably be paying MORE attention to food preparation now that I have committed myself to a one-week vegan cleanse.  I think I have been taking a bit of a minimalist approach.  Well maybe the minimalist approach and that slight edgy hunger is compatible with the whole cleanse concept.

I think commitment is an important word in this discussion.

This whole vegan cleanse is interesting - but I realize that I really have to put more effort into food preparation to make it completely enjoyable and worthwhile.  I have not been giving my food preparation sufficient attention to make the food interesting.

There is a lot of soaking and sprouting involved.  The juicing uses up a lot of veggies - so I am shopping more often.  The juicer needs a lot of cleaning - so I am spending more time in the kitchen.

Today the black beans did not sprout according to schedule - so I am going without. 

The black rice is nice - but I am working away at a pot that still has several servings left.

I think it takes a lot of work and commitment to eat vegan.  It would be nice to have a co-partner. - someone to help with the cooking and the eating.

I do like the idea of colorful food.

Today I have eaten:

Green:  celery, collards, kale, dandelion, green apple

Orange: yams, carrots, butternut squash

White: onions, daikon

Yellow: crookneck squash

Black:  rice, black mission figs

Purple:  mulberries, acai

3 comments:

  1. I like the minimalist approach as well, but it can be hard to constantly be in the kitchen making meals from scratch especially with all of the temptations of pre-made food. You definitely have to be committed. :)

    Such colorful foods you've been eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the comments from a fellow committed real food devotee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is why most vegans are not actually healthy in the slightest. They try to go vegan for moral reasons, but get lazy with the actual nutrition, and just eat prepackaged crud and tons of bread instead of making plenty of veggies and getting in nuts and seeds. It's hart work to get full on produce.

    ReplyDelete