Sunday, April 21, 2013

Is There A Diet Expert?

For about the past three years I have been working with a healthcare practitioner who recommends supplements for me to take.  During those three years I have gotten to know her fairly well as we talk on the phone quite frequently.  She is one of the delightful and helpful FEW who are easy to reach and nearly always available for questions.  So far I feel like her recommended supplement regime - based upon the analysis of a hair sample about twice a year - has been - if not positive - then in the very least - a benign experience.

The reason that I sound somewhat cautious regarding the benefits of the supplement program - even though some significant health issues have resolved themselves during the time period I was taking them  - is that I am not certain - and have no way of knowing for certain - that a specific supplement has - in fact - affected a specific positive change or outcome.

And I would feel VERY cautious to recommend that others follow me and do what I do.  In fact, I often feel VERY cautious about recommending just about anything to others.

So for the time being I have decided to content myself to quietly taking the supplements in good faith - believing that they may/will in the end have an overall salubrious health benefit.  

All of that being said - the same healthcare practitioner highly recommends a fairly specific diet - with the caveat that it might need to be tweaked here and there to accommodate individual differences.  It just so happens that the diet she highly recommends is the diet that she herself - after years of experimentation - discovered that she thrives on.  Does that mean that everybody will thrive on variations of the same diet?  The same or very similar macro and micro-nutrient ratios?

Telling others what foods may or may not be best for them makes me REALLY nervous.  I like to share what my diet comprises and looks like from time to time - but I really shy away from telling others that they should do likewise or eat like I do.

If I WERE to pretend that I was a diet expert - I would probably confuse everybody anyway.  I am a great experimenter at heart.  I am always changing my diet up to try something new or different.  It would certainly be difficult for me to be a diet expert if I could not keep changing my mind about what the perfect diet - of the moment - might be.

That is why I think that it is only truly safe for me to be an expert on myself.  And even that is a tall order considering that my health, my condition, my body, mind and spirit - like the weather - are always changing - are in fact - a work in progress.  My health is dynamic and not static or fixed as the diet experts would prefer to have me believe - the one size fits all diet theory - that never changes year in and year out - so that you can make them the expert and just follow their diet.

Hopefully, I can become my own inner diet expert.  Hopefully, I can cultivate the wisdom to listen to my own body and through awareness discover what supports me in feeling my best - what boosts my energy - what helps me thrive and live my life to the fullest.  And not surprisingly, it may even change from time to time as I change.  And I promise I will not tell you that if you follow me and eat what I eat that you will feel great too.

2 comments:

  1. That's very true! Just think about how you do better with a little bit of meat in your diet, and I am good with lots of meat in my diet! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I see you are appreciating the fine distinctions. LOL

    ReplyDelete