Friday, April 26, 2013

Congee For Breakfast

This morning I had congee for breakfast.  Congee, a rice porridge that is popular in Asia, is comfort food in a bowl. 

Congee is easy to prepare if you have a crock pot.

The secret of making congee is to add 4 - 6 parts liquid to 1 part rice.  You can play with the proportions to see what texture and thickness you prefer.

I like to start congee the night before when I am in the kitchen making dinner for Dan and I.  I put homemade chicken broth, soaked brown basmati rice, minced ginger, minced garlic and tamari sauce in a crock pot, set it on a low temperature, and let it simmer all night.

In the morning the rice is thick, moist, and custard like.

Although congee is delicious eaten as is - for variety you can stir in meat, chicken, fish, beans, eggs, or vegetables of your choice.

This morning I stirred shredded chicken into my congee.  It was delicious and I served it with a side of last night's left-over vegetables - sauteed bok choy, turnips, carrots, and peas.

Congee is warming and easy to digest and is reputed to be an excellent food for those that are recovering from illness.

1 comment: